Skip to main content

Teaching during a pandemic: six lessons I’ve learned and how they'll make me better this year.

There is no denying that for a lot of us, the last academic year was tough, possibly the toughest of many of our careers. But now we’re on the cusp of a new start, it’s worth reflecting on the lessons learned from the challenges the pandemic brought and how they can prove useful going forward.


The Coronavirus pandemic has meant teachers have been running all over school sites hopping from classroom to classroom, dragging all our resources around with us, frantically logging into computers, confining our teaching to 2m distanced boxes at the front, juggling the needs of the audiences in front of us as well as the remote ones while still formatively assessing, ensuring pupil progress and keeping top of marking. And on top of all that, there was avoiding staff rooms due to limited numbers, lack of face to face contact with our teams and the horror that was TAGS.


However, while much (no, most) of it was awful, through difficulty we build strength; here are my six positive takeaways from corona-adapted teaching.


1. Technology:

I genuinely don’t think there is a teacher out there whose tech skills haven’t improved during this pandemic! Lockdown lessons meant presenting, providing resources, responding to questions, finding ways to assess using a variety of apps, devices and programs to emulate our very interactive jobs, simultaneously. Add in the bubbles bursting when schools did reopen and having to teach to a live classroom and a screen at the same time, while making sure everyone was on the right worksheet, messages in the chat window were being responded to as well as those in front of us and everyone was learning. Hybrid teaching is enough to make anyone dizzy and requires multitasking at its finest but now previous technological issues I may have struggled with are a walk in the park!


2. Hyper-organisation:

I wasn't too terribly organised before the pandemic, but not having the luxury of being in my own classroom where I can throw next lesson's worksheets in a drawer/cupboard/crevice or put that pile of marking somewhere in one of my bags knowing it'll be there when I need it, has meant my organisational skills have had to step up. I'm now so much better at photocopying in advance because last year, there was no quick dash to the copier when you had to run a 5k just to get to your next lesson; my coloured folders for each different class with each different lesson's sheets and marking are here to stay!


3. Cutting back to the basics:

On the flip side, I've found that nomadic teaching has forced me out of my reliance on resources in my classroom. From having table mats for support and challenge, posters with key terminology and my heart's content worth of stationery in my classroom to teaching in all the different subject buildings of my school, I've realised that I actually don't need all the extra frills and neither do my students. Just good, well-planned lessons and high expectations. Habits I have built over the years in my teaching have been broken and the crutches I used to need are now unnecessary.


4. Teaching from the front:

My inability to sit still in combination with the teacher guilt of 'doing nothing' while students were working meant teaching from the front was hard for me to adapt to. And while I did miss seeing what students were working on and supporting them while working, I really did underestimate the value in stepping back and letting them get on with the task at hand. Also with everyone in plain sight, interesting observations can be made of students and how they approach problems or where they may need longer to process. Stepping back has made me aware of how much of a distraction/barrier to independence I can potentially be and I will purposefully spend more time at my desk in September.


5. The value in modelling:

While I've always thought modelling was important, it has been the most useful teaching tool over this year. Modelling is troubleshooting backwards. It can answer questions, gauge understanding through questioning, support, challenge and even make you question and adapt your own teaching methods. It has been valuable in face-to-face teaching, remote and hybrid teaching. Time taken to model effectively is time well-used and its impact should not be underestimated!


6. Taking care of your mental health:

Teaching has always been a stressful job but most in the industry have a “get-on-with-it” attitude, and that's exactly what they do. I know my career is a lot of work and while I do love to have a moan about it, it is something I find challenging, stimulating and important. But only since the pandemic has exacerbated every difficulty in this job as well as the pressures it has put on my life outside of it, have I stopped and taken my mental health into check. I can openly acknowledge that I have struggled this year; all the plates we needed to keep spinning have been a lot and I now know when I need to step back. It has taken me to near breaking point to look after myself and to talk about it but the lesson will stay with me and self-care and self-regulation will be a part of my life now. 


Last year was hard and while I'm so angry about so much of it (don't you get me started on those TAGs) and I don't for a second believe we're remotely out of the woods yet, I will do what I've seen so many amazing teachers do: adapt to the difficulties and use them to keep on improving!


Teachers, you are legends! Good luck for 2021-22!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Differentiation: shattering the glass ceiling and stepping up to the challenge

Over the last few years, what we see and what we expect to see in the classroom has massively changed. We’ve gone from super-pacey, four-part, not-too-much-teacher-talkey lessons, to progress for the long haul, repeated learning and in-depth modelling. This is much more a shift in mentality than it is just methodology and thankfully, the same can be said for differentiation. But it is still something so easy to get wrong! Despite all the controversy that comes with differentiation, with high challenge and upward scaffolding, the glass ceilings once put in place with it, can still be shattered for the wide range of students our classrooms hold. While the transformation of what we know as differentiation is in no way complete, we can still adapt during its transition to something better - it is just a case of reassessing how we are differentiating and why. The past life of differentiation Previously, the suggestions and perhaps expectations of differentiation were planning using “All, mo

Managing the markload

There is no way to dress it up - marking is and will always be one of the biggest burdens in teaching. The other things like planning, training, meetings and emails all push themselves to the top of the to-do list - their turnarounds are short and they can’t be left. You can’t not plan your lessons, not turn up to meetings (tempting as it may sound) and the emails demand responses. So marking, despite being an incredibly valuable teaching tool, gets left to the wayside. It causes a great deal of anxiety for so many as the pile continues to grow or is something that forever needs doing. It is also one of the biggest reasons so many work well beyond 8-5 and spend so much of their holidays working instead of relaxing and recharging. It will always be a challenge, particularly if you too teach essay subjects like English but there are some tools that have helped me to avoid bringing marking home and to some extent staying if not on top of it, at least afloat. Marking codes The most mundane

Misconceptions about ‘Mixed Ability’ in English

The mixed vs set ability debate is not a new one. It has gone round the houses, done its laps and the research and general consensus seem to have settled quite firmly in favour of blended classes. So why write about it now?   Mainly because I (like many on the other side of the debate) was completely and utterly against the introduction of mixed ability classes when it was first discussed in our department. Many of the titular misconceptions were my own but having now researched, taught the classes and reaped the benefits fully mixed sets bring, I have deserted post and I am firmly in the mixed ability camp. Here’s what I thought versus what I found:  1. Differentiation and Challenge is too difficult  For context, our previous configuration was to have two top sets on each side of the year with rest in mixed classes, so from my prior experience, going fully mixed would have been extra work for the teachers while taking away specific focus on learners’ needs. But how wrong I was! My ant